Thursday, June 25, 2009

Up the Lake Minnetonka

Family in town. Dad, mom and lil brother Jack.

I have been thinking about places to go and places to eat. My parents aren't a big fan of western cuisine, but I thought it's still worth a try to visit the Lake Minnetonka for a nice meal on the lake.
Only 20 minutes away from the twin cities, the Lake Minnetonka is one of the larger lake in the "metro" area. Totally of 114 miles, miles... of something, coastline maybe. Pretty big. It was so hot and humid that afternoon, high of 95 deg F with heat index going to 105 deg F due to the humidity... I somehow managed to find a parking spot way far, and ended up walking for 0.5 mile in the hot and humid killer day...

Reservation at the North Coast was made for 7pm, but it was too hot to be wandering around for another hour and half... We ended up walking in at 6pm, hungry and dehydrated...


Appertizer: Thai style calamari

I don't know if it's because we were hungry and tired, or this dish is really tasty. I was expecting some fried calamari, but this came in a sautee sauce instead. They use the Thai (or I thought it was actually originated from Vietnam...) Sweet and Sour sauce as the base. Adding Jalapenos, sun-dried tomatos, pickles and garlic in the sauce. Extremely yummy!, sweet and sour calamari!! This dish completely took my by surprised. Nom Nom Nom....


For the main dishes... I ordered the halibut for mom. She really enjoyed it. Halibut is one of those fish that's not very fishy and could go well with almost everything.

Halibut with Pesto sauce:



In contrast, Salmon.... is very.... fishy... or salmon-y. I wasn't very impressed with this dish. Just plain old pan-seared salmon, crusted with some... weird crumbles and lemon sauce. That lemon sauce reminds me of cheap lemon jam/jelly for bread... Wasn't very refreshing, as I was expecting some kind of summer dish. I should have just gone with my usual scallops orders. I have never not liked a scallop dish



I seriously need a better camera... When can I have my DSLR????

2 Comments:

heLeN said...

just two main dishes???

Angela Yeung and Søren Madsen said...

no la... a rib-eye for Jack (medium rare...), and a walleye dish for dad. but those aren't that good...

© free template 3 columns