Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Coconut Red Beans Dessert


For all the loyal kisskissAngela fans out there, wherever and whoever you are, you maybe well aware that I attempted the Red Beans dessert a while back... and the result of it...

Ha! But I won't give up. Just like how I still haven't given up on blogging bits and pieces of my surprisingly-routine life. And I have taken on this challenge again! To be honest, this red bean dessert was probably my one and only failure among all my Asian cooking attempts. This can't be true, no way I fail making Asian dishes! And heck, I win and I'm the best (why does this line sound so familiar?)


Coconut Milk Red Beans Dessert

Red Beans x 30g
Coconut Milk x 280g
Whipping Cream x 60g
Sugar x 130g
Corn Starch x 82g
Water x 560ml

Cook the red beans with a large pot of water. Cooking the red bean could take sometime: boil the water first, put in the beans and let it boil for 30 minutes on low; take it off the heat and let it stand for another 30 minute, till the beans are soft but not too mashy. The beans soak up a lot of water, make sure you have at least 2 cups (500ml) of water in the pot and add more if it looks too dry.
Add the corn starch into the mixture of the cream and coconut milk. Stir till smooth. When the beans are ready, drain the water and save it to measure out the 560 ml the recipe called for. Bring the water to boil, add in the sugar and stir. Once the sugar is melted, slowly add in the corn starch mixture and stir at the same time. Keep stirring till the mixture is smooth, add in the beans and stir till well blended. Pour the mix into a pre-refrigerated container(s), let it cool and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours.
*The purpose of pre-refrigerated containers is similar to buttering the baking pan: Just to make sure the surface would be smooth and easier to come out once the mix is harden up.

If you compare this recipe to the one I made a while ago, you can see some significant differences. First, it's not layered, honestly, layering was way to hard... Secondly, no gelatin, corn starch is the trick here. Corn starch is definitely much easier to work with than that gross and smelly gelatin that I have b***ted about in that entry. Thirdly, the blend of red bean with the coconut milk, very smooth and no messy thick red bean paste...

It's actually a very easy dessert to make after all. Yummy! The one thing I may try to improve next time is to add a little more coconut milk in exchange of the cream. I want to have a richer taste of coconut milk, but it's just personal preferences.

So, late night, blogging and slices of the red bean cake. Life is good after all.

A plate of eaten dessert: just here to piss someone off. Ha!

0 Comments:

© free template 3 columns